Chowder is the main character and protagonist of Chowder. He was an apprentice under the learning of Mung Daal until the series finale where he took over the catering company. He was the main antagonist of "The Dice Cycle" making Ceviche the main protagonist of the episode.
Chowder has a pink nose with a striped tail, resembling a raccoon's. He has a purple hat with two points and has a purple and fuchsia/magenta shirt that covers his legs. He wears purple shoes and rarely wears pants. When he removes his hat, he has two short ears. He has a prominent fang on his upper jaw that can be seen even when his mouth is closed. Due to his appetite, he's quite heavy and doesn't do well with sports or physical activity in general.
Chowder has the personality of a sweet, innocent, impulsive and friendly child who has a passion for being in the kitchen. An aspect of this side of his personality is that he's highly sensitive and emotional, and has been shown to cry more than once, mostly due to perceiving his mentor, Mung, of not listening to him or trusting him. He's even cried over receiving punishment, which is understandable for his age.
There have been times when he has a much darker side to his personality when it comes to his passion towards becoming a chef, such as in the episode Chowder's Catering Company when he was willing to render Schnitzel, Mung Daal, and Truffles unconscious with a frying pan and stuff them into a single pickle barrel for the sake of keeping his catering business for Kevin and the rest of his species; however, he disbanded the aforementioned business in favor of saving his friends from certain death.
Chowder has been known to go berserk if he doesn't have food within a limited amount of time and has been shown to eat anything on impulse, regardless of any etiquette that he might be required to observe and he's even done things on impulse, such as snatching the large container of Pizzazz and inserting the entire container into a dish, resulting in bodies being switched. He is very loyal to Mung and has called him "papa", showing he thinks of him as a father figure, and like the others, is usually scared of Truffles.
Chowder's ability to form bonds or relationships with other characters is often strained due to him being a nuisance to others.
Why won't you trust me as a Chef, Mung?!
|—Chowder tearfully asks Mung why he doesn't trust him, in terms of cooking.|
I thought you were my little buddy!
|—Gazpacho is hurt after Chowder attempts to gain Floss Berries from him with Mung in disguise.|
- Chowder is the main character of the show and has made an appearance in every single episode of the series.
- Chowder's voice actor is Nicky Jones in the series, but in Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, it is Tara Strong.
- When he grows up, he takes over the catering company, married Panini (despite that he never shares his feelings back for her) and taught his apprentice Scraps.
- He is named after a special soup.
- Chowder's relatives have never been shown, though he does address Mung as "daddy."
- The longest period of time he can go without eating is two hours.
- He has broken the fourth wall more than any other character.
- He is shown to eat about anything.
- The only time he was bothered being in a cartoon was in Brain Grub.
- The voice actor of Chowder is the voice actor for Gumball in the pilot episode of The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Chowder models are also available on Steam Community, for Garry's Mod (Gmod).
- He appears similar to the Pokemon Munchlax, who is similar both visually and characteristic-wise.
- Chowder has terrible handwriting.
- In the episode Endive's Dirty Secret, Mung revealed that Chowder is a robot.